he Salvation Army in Winston-Salem has been in operation since 1907. The first services of The Salvation Army focused on the poor and indigent of our city. Early intervention services included shelter, food, and clothing for Winston-Salem's poor and homeless. In 1953, The Salvation Army began offering preventative programs by forming the Red Shield Boys Club. Several years later, the Club was expanded to serve girls.
In the mid-seventies, The Salvation Army opened a Residential Re-Entry Center which served as a half-way house for federal prisoners. Today The Salvation Army Center of Hope also includes a homeless shelter for families and single women.
In addition to meeting basic needs and offering enrichment programs, The Salvation Army provides spiritual guidance and instruction through weekly worship services, Bible studies, music instruction, and character-building activities. These services are made available at the Washington Park Corps (services in English), the International Corps (services in Spanish) and the Kernersville Corps (services in Korean).
In the mid 1980's, the Winston-Salem Salvation Army extended its social services to neighboring Davie, Stokes, and Yadkin counties. Eligible individuals and families that benefit from The Salvation Army's Emergency Assistance Program receive cash grants for rent and utilities, food, clothing, medicine, or emergency lodging.